Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) has been used for centuries in Ayurveda to support the female reproductive system as well as the digestive system. It’s name is translated as having “one hundred roots” .
Shatavari can be used for all stages of a women’s reproductive system. It supports the woman at the end of mensus by encouraging circulation, as well as healthy nervous system and hormonal functions. However people of all ages and genders can also benefit from shatavari.
Benefits of Shatavari
- Helps to regulate menstrual cycle, manage PMS symptoms and alleviate menstrual cramps .It helps with fluid retention and uncomfortable bloating often suffered before a period.
- Helps in managing leucorrhea and menorrhagia.
- Shatavari is a general tonic to uplift female health and libido.
- Manages Diabetes Mellitus, prevents high cholesterol and helps in treatment of bacterial and fungal infection.
- Acts as a diuretic to remove excess fluid from the body.
- Helps in treating infertility, rheumatism, depression etc
- Manages menopausal symptoms
- Relieves physical and emotional stress: Shatavari is an adaptogenic herb that helps regulate production of stress hormones. It has a calming effect on the nervous system and control anxiety.
- Shatavari helps to facilitate and regulate milk production. This is ideal for the nourishment of babies, so that their immune system becomes stronger .
- Anti aging property: Saponins in Shatavari make it an effective anti aging agent .It reduces free radical damages and slows down collagen breakdown, which reduces the risk of wrinkles, revives and sooths skin . Not only that it also helps improve scalp health and prevent hair loss.
- Immunity booster: Shatavari is an Ayurvedic immunity booster. It is packed with phytochemicals. This gives strength to immune system by increasing antibodies to promote overall well being.
Shatavari is used in Ayurveda to balance vata and pitta doshas . It has a cooling effect on the system. Unctuous and building nature helps in nourishment of the body.
Various formulations of Shatavari
- Shatavari Gulam: herbal jam with jaggery base . Used in treatment of gynaecological issues , diseases of urinary tract and liver complications.
- Shatavaryadi choorna
- Shatavari tablet
- Shatavaryadi ghrithm